Gunman Killed Near White House After Opening Fire at Secret Service Checkpoint

Thumbnail graphic showing “Who Is Nasire Best?” beside the White House after a shooting near the security perimeter in Washington, DC.
Spread the love

The White House shooting unfolded around 6 PM Saturday near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, DC.

WASHINGTON, DC— A man identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best was shot dead by US Secret Service agents on Saturday evening after authorities say he opened fire near a White House security checkpoint while President Donald Trump was inside the complex.

The shooting unfolded around 6 PM near 17th Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue, triggering an immediate lockdown around the White House grounds. Journalists, staff and tourists nearby were rushed into secure areas as armed federal officers sealed streets surrounding the compound. One bystander was injured. Officials said no Secret Service agents were hit.

What’s happening around the world:  Marco Rubio India Visit Begins in Kolkata Ahead of Quad Talks

Federal investigators examine the scene after gunfire erupted near the White House perimeter in Washington, DC.

Witnesses Report Burst of Gunfire

Early accounts from reporters at the scene varied sharply. Fox News correspondent Chad Pergram wrote on X that the suspect “got off 3 shots” before agents returned fire. DC News Now anchor Chris Flanagan later claimed nearly 30 rounds may have been exchanged. “I heard what sounded like dozens of gunshots fired nearby”, ABC correspondent Selina Wang posted while sheltering near the North Lawn.

Photos and videos from the scene showed tactical officers with rifles, police vehicles blocking intersections and yellow evidence markers spread across sidewalks near the White House perimeter. Secret Service agents shot the suspect within seconds after he allegedly pulled a handgun from a bag and fired toward officers.

Police and Secret Service personnel secure the White House perimeter.

Suspect Previously Known to Authorities

Multiple outlets identified the suspect as Nasire Best, a Maryland resident who had reportedly been detained near the White House in previous incidents. Court records cited by several news organizations said Best previously claimed he was “Jesus Christ” and wanted to be arrested. Reports also described earlier encounters involving restricted security zones and erratic behavior.

The FBI and Metropolitan Police Department remained at the scene overnight. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed federal investigators were assisting the Secret Service. The incident comes during a period of heightened security concerns around high-profile political sites in Washington. Federal investigators are still trying to determine whether the wounded bystander was struck by the suspect’s bullets or by return fire during the exchange.

For more updates follow:  First Report News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *